19 Surprising Celebrity Couples Who Eloped
Bright lights, big names, small weddings.
If you’re thinking about eloping, consider yourself in good company. Check out these stars who opted out of invitations, bridal parties and fancy fetes in favor of an intimate elopement…
1. Harrison Ford and Calista Flockhart, Santa Fe, NM Talk about low maintenance! According to People magazine, Calista and Harrison’s wedding attire consisted of a sundress and blue jeans. The couple stopped into city hall and picked up their $25 marriage license in Santa Fe just before tying the knot.
2. Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt, Paris, France Even celebrities aren’t above the law when marrying abroad. The Daily Mail reported that Brangelina went to a justice of the peace to sort out their legal paperwork and get their marriage license in California before holding a symbolic ceremony at their Parisian estate.
3. Jack Black and Tanya Haden, Big Sur, CA Jack and Tanya eloped to the sunshine state’s most rugged region two months after announcing their engagement. Black told Blender magazine that the pair purchased an elopement package with a photographer and a nondenominational officiant named Soaring. The couple celebrated later by hosting a post-elopement party, complete with slideshow, for guests.
4. Penelope Cruz and Javier Bardem, the Bahamas A very private ceremony for a very private couple. According to People magazine, Penelope and Javier secretly wed in front of a handful of family members at their friend’s home in the beautiful Bahamas.
5. Kelly Ripa and Mark Consuelos, Las Vegas, NV Big style on a budget. Kelly Ripa recently shared on Live with Kelly and Michael that she found her wedding dress on a Barney’s final clearance rack for $199. She wore it again this year for the 20 year anniversary of her Las Vegas elopement wedding with hubby Mark Consuelos.
6. Sacha Baron Cohen and Isla Fisher, Paris, France This comedic duo wanted “no-fuss, just us” for their city of lights nuptials. As reported by OK magazine, Sacha and Isla said I-do in an intimate sunset wedding after 8 years together. The pair were wed in a traditional Jewish ceremony before a few of their closest confidants.
7. Rachel Weisz and Daniel Craig, Upstate New York
Question: What do you get when you add two lovebirds, two kids, and two witnesses? Answer: A minimalist wedding for a quiet couple in upstate New York. As confirmed by the Daily Mail, Rachel and Daniel secretly wed in an empire state of mind six months after getting engaged.
8. Jessica Alba and Cash Warren, Beverly Hills, CA
Expectant parents, Jessica and Cash, went for practical and private with their Beverly Hills courthouse wedding. According to People magazine, there were no guests in attendance aside from the city hall staff who filed the couple’s marriage license paperwork, but the pair later hosted friends and family for a post-ceremony celebration.
9. Kiera Knightley and James Righton, Mazan, France
Forgoing traditional I-Dos, Kiera and James opted to seal their new union with a chic “Oui” instead. The Daily Mail classified the couple’s big day in Provence as très bohemian. Kiera repurposed a short red-carpet dress and wore sensible flats and flowers in her hair.
10. Jason Biggs and Jenny Mollen, Los Angeles, CA
Double the fun. Once was not enough for these two; instead it was two proposals and two weddings for Jason and Jenny. Jason told People magazine that he first proposed spontaneously on vacation in St. Martin, and then again more formally in Big Sur on Valentine’s Day. The pair later held a private elopement wedding in Los Angeles, followed by a second friends and family wedding in Napa.
11. Salma Hayek and Francois Henri Pinault, Paris, France
Encore! Salma and Francois similarly held a pair of wedding events around the world in true Hollywood style. According to OK magazine, the couple first privately eloped to Paris and then planned an extravagant ceremony for guests in Venice, Italy.
12. Mel B and Stephen Belafonte, Las Vegas, NV
Viva Las Vegas. A few months after their top secret wedding, the BBC confirmed that Scary Spice and Stephen tied the knot in sin city. The pair’s elopement wedding was held at the Special Memory Wedding Chapel off the Las Vegas strip.
13. Zoe Saldana and Marco Perego, London, UK
An Avatar and an artist become bride and groom in Great Britain. Taking the road less traveled, Zoe and Marco decided to get hitched in a quaint, quiet ceremony in England. According to Us Weekly the wedding was described as “…super small but very romantic and beautiful.”
14. Kelly Clarkson and Brandon Blackstock, Walland, TN
When planning an elaborate affair felt out of hand, Kelly and Brandon called it off in favor of an elopement. At the time, the press suspected a pregnancy. Kelly told Us Weekly, “We are eloping for one reason only. We both want an intimate ceremony.” The two were wed at Blackberry Farms in Tennessee.
15. Tori Spelling and Dean McDermott, Fiji
Holding hands, with toes in the sand- that’s the way that Tori and Dean said I-Do. The casual couple wore white and were the only attendees at their Fiji elopement wedding. Tori later told People magazine, “We didn’t want to wait another day to get married.”
16. Katherine Kelly and Ryan Clark, Las Vegas, NV
Hitched on Holiday! UK star Katherine Kelly and boyfriend Ryan Clark were wed on their US vacation at the Little Church of the West in Las Vegas. “We wanted to enjoy the day without all the usual planning and pressure,” Katherine told Hello magazine after her private nuptials.
17. Kate Winslet and Ned Rocknroll, New York
Kate Winslet officially became Mrs. Rocknroll (yes, that’s legally his name) in a ceremony so hush-hush that even the pair’s parents were out of the loop. The Sun reports that the super-secret event was planned but very private, held in a converted barn in New York.
18. Kristen Bell and Dax Shepherd, Beverly Hills, CA
Engaged for nearly four years, Kristen and Dax eloped in Beverly Hills after obtaining their marriage license at the County Clerk’s Office. The couple had long been outspoken supporters of gay marriage and decided to wait to wed until their home state of California made it legal for all citizens.
19. Chelsea Peretti and Jordan Peele, Locale unknown yet…
The most recent addition to the exclusive celebrity elopement club are comics Chelsea and Jordan. Although little more is known about their nuptials than their dog being the only guest, the pair seems thrilled with their choice to bypass an elaborate event. Jordan recently told People magazine, “”We spent the money on ourselves and we had a day for us and we sort of got away, and it was the best thing we could’ve done. I recommend elopement to anyone! Tell your family about it later.”
From small and star-studded, to super-secret, it turns out that celebrities elope too. Which is your favorite celebrity elopement? I’d love to hear, let me know in the comments below or shoot me an email.
Considering your own exclusive elopement?
Check out our 7 Convincing Reasons You Should Elope post
Ready to start planning your elopement?
We’ve got you covered with a FREE detailed Destination Elopement Checklist, just subscribe to claim this and several other destination elopement planning tools